Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eggs Benedict (Grain-Free)


Let me tell you, I did not eat this well before I was primal. But now, it's bacon every day and if not that, eggs benedict. Or better yet, both!
This hollandaise is a sauce made with crème fraiche, for lack of a better use of my experimental homemade batch of it.
Wow, what a lucky experiment! By the way, I put a spoonful in my butternut squash "home-fries" this morning and was blown away...
More on homemade crème fraiche later.

Hollandaise sauce
3 pastured egg yolks (save the whites for the biscuits)
a pinch of sea salt

-Whip the egg yolks and lemon in a food processor while you melt the butter
-Add the butter slowly to the lemon/egg mixture while processing
-Add the crème fraiche to that, a tablespoon at a time
-Salt to taste
-Use right away storing the remainder in a mason or glass jar (because you can stick the jar in a hot water bath later to reheat) It will definitely thicken as it cools.

The "buttermilk biscuit" recipe comes from Maria Emmerich- we definitely thank you!
This works out perfectly because you can make several biscuits and have eggs benedict every day until they and the sauce runs out.

Biscuits
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 egg whites
* I also add parsley, garlic power and onion powder (about 1 tsp altogether)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a medium sized muffin pan. Whip egg whites until fluffy, but not stiff. In a separate bowl, sift the baking powder into the almond flour. Then add the butter and salt. Slowly fold in the almond mixture to the egg whites. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Serves 8.

Now for the final results!
I cooked a couple pieces of homemade bacon, sautéed some green onions and warmed up a couple slices of tomato in a pan. Then I layered this on top of the biscuit, set a poached egg on top and poured hollandaise until my heart's content. A little parsley for garnish and I ate like a queen.
You can use anything you like, obviously. I do also recommend a salmon burger with all the fixings on top for a heartier eggs benedict. You will have enough to experiment for a couple of days!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! When I order this at restaurants, I usually just ask for grilled tomato slices instead of an English muffin, but I miss having something to soak up all the egg yolk and hollandaise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this on Chowstalker- looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete